• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL William Saliba (Loan)

Are you satisfied with how the Saliba situation has been handled?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Tell me why Arteta should play him at RCB, for the first time in his career, in the most difficult league in the world next to a new right back.

Why have you started clinging to this? You've completely made that up. He's played at RCB numerous times for St Etienne so don't know where you've decided to pluck that from?

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
High chance Arteta isn't here past this season so I do think Saliba will get his chance eventually. I wonder if we did make Europe, would he have stayed? Certainly there would have been much more scope for game time.

I think it's important to have an established CB partnership for the league, and that looks like it will be White-Gabriel. Would only leave cup games against nothing teams for Saliba. I think when you take the emotion out of it, and look at the current situation, a loan males sense.

GunnerShy

How do you know he will be sold for cheap in that situation? Everything depends on this loan to Marseille. It will be his first ever full season at a club. There's time for him, he plays LCB he was never going to get a full season of good playing time here without a full season on loan first.

I'm so relaxed about this, people like yourself are entitled to their opinions but also make it out like this situation is make or break for the club. Like it's something that will define Arsenal's history. Urm no. It's a young CB, who may or may not be good enough, really that simple.
He will be sold cheap in that situation because the club will have no leverage. It'll be a want away player combined with a contract that is running out.

The reality is this, we've not been able to sell almost any player for a good wedge in recent years. Last season we were paying players to leave. This season, the figures quoted against our pending exits have been underwhelming. That's not going to change with a want away player with 2 years left on a contract.

It's not make of break for the club you are right. And whilst I think the decision to not register him in the EL squad or play him in the cups last season was inexcusable, loaning him out post Xmas and at the start of this season is reasonable. And actually, is how a big club would/should operate if the player isn't ready.

But.. allowing the relationship to break down to this level between the manager and a 19 year old highly rated prospect is terrible and is why it seems highly unlikely that we will convince him to sign an extension.

Whilst you say he's a young centre back who "may or may not be good enough" the reality is that at the same stage of their careers he is far in advance of Gabriel who IS deemed "good enough" and cost about the same money. So to allow him to spend three years on loan, without extending his contract and mismanage him to the point that he falls out with the manager and is headed for a cut-price exit is terrible terrible management.

I look at the treatment of Saliba, I couple it with the management of AMN, Nelson, Nketiah. The purchasing of Willian. The rumoured extension of El Neny and the extension offered to Mustafi and I don't think it reflects well at all on Arteta and Edu at both player and squad management level.

While I agreed that the management of Saliba in isolation isn't make of break (but don't think this won't damage our reputation of managing young talent amongst agents), the idea of two people allowed to keep making these player management mistakes unchallenged by an ignorant or unengaged ownership probably is!

TL;DR?
a)The loans are fine if required.
b)Not securing an extension and mismanaging the player manager relationship is not.
c)This discussion is about Saliba-Arteta but it's a common theme with MA across a number of fringe players.
d) No oversight or checks and balances between the Edu-Arteta relationship. It's not working as it should for the club.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
Good for him. No purchase option please, by the end of the loan Arteta might not even be here.
Big Willy coming back to Arsenal in January after Arteta getting the sack
BlackandwhiteJadedGuernseycow-size_restricted.gif

GunnerShy

Yeah this is it. There is absolutely no reason for him to extend next year before knowing if he'll get a chance to play here or not. Then the season after that he'll have 1 year left and any agent worth his salt will advise him to run the contract down.

Hard to say the club has faith in him when he's being shipped out before they even had a look at him in preseason and with the Gabriel injury there might have been an opening for him to stake his claim, but he's not even being considered.
Even more so, with the club having stated the policy of re-sign or sell at 24 months left, clubs will know we are under pressure to sell at the end of this season. It's exactly what's happening with Xhaka. Low ball offer, let the window run down. Player waits. Club is almost forced to make a decision at that point to take the offer or lose for less.

With the non-existent relationship between him and MA. Unless MA repairs it, he won't want him running around at Colney all season and being asked about it in the Press conferences. So if he didn't get sold, they'd be looking at loaning him out again for another season.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Arteta, Edu and whoever was responsible for not loaning him last summer have handled the Saliba situation horrifically.

There is literally no scope for debate there in my opinion. We have let him get to two years on his deal which the club explicitly said we would sell or renew players at. We are giving ourselves an issue we can already foresee a year down the line. It will be renew (which he may not want to do if Arteta is still here- or even if he’s gone if we don’t make big promises), or sell (will be forced to take what we get to an extent- I see him doing well on loan and us still making a loss in this situation).

There is still hope of course, but this has been poor player management.

Pyres7

I would have preferred to send him to a PL club where his performances will be right in our faces, good or bad.

Even if he does well at Marseille people will be saying 'he's only doing it in France, farmers league' or whatever.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Yeah this is it. There is absolutely no reason for him to extend next year before knowing if he'll get a chance to play here or not. Then the season after that he'll have 1 year left and any agent worth his salt will advise him to run the contract down.

Hard to say the club has faith in him when he's being shipped out before they even had a look at him in preseason and with the Gabriel injury there might have been an opening for him to stake his claim, but he's not even being considered.

We've basically seen this happen at Arsenal for the past decade, both with good and not so good players, and yet people are still trying to trust the club in this?

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
Wow. I actually thought he would get a chance in pre-season. Now Arteta really needs to explain whats happening in detail. Clearly there is something going on

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
Wow. I actually thought he would get a chance in pre-season. Now Arteta really needs to explain whats happening in detail. Clearly there is something going on
FOR SURE!

WE NEED ANSWERS

Which Press Conference Interviewer has the GUTS to ask this question? This transfer is now so bizaare.
30 million bizaare. He needs to be called out on his BS. Let's see how he'll shift the blame to Saliba stating that he wanted to give him a chance in preseason, but Saliba insisted on Marseille BS..

Reminds me of when we signed Park Chu Young, and all of sudden never saw him play after he score a nice goal in league cup. Well atleast he did play in the league cup.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
FOR SURE!

WE NEED ANSWERS

Which Press Conference Interviewer has the GUTS to ask this question? This transfer is now so bizaare.
30 million bizaare. He needs to be called out on his BS. Let's see how he'll shift the blame to Saliba stating that he wanted to give him a chance in preseason, but Saliba insisted on Marseille BS..

Reminds me of when we signed Park Chu Young, and all of sudden never saw him play after he score a nice goal in league cup. Well atleast he did play in the league cup.

Woeful comparison.

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
Not comparing the player, just the situation. Basically, nobody mentioned anything like Park Chu Young didn't exist.

Nobody in British Press cared to be fair.

With Saliba, let's see if Arteta gets any questions on his future. He clearly stated he would return to have a presason with us - so why did he change his mind? This is a player that is under contract for 3 seasons.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Not comparing the player, just the situation. Basically, nobody mentioned anything like Park Chu Young didn't exist.

Nobody in British Press cared to be fair.

With Saliba, let's see if Arteta gets any questions on his future. He clearly stated he would return to have a presason with us - so why did he change his mind? This is a player that is under contract for 3 seasons.

What is there to say? He's gone on a season loan for the first time in his career with us, thats all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I started clapping myself... until I realised that I was Sunderland's manager.

Peter Reid after Bergkamp's goal against Sunderland.

Daily Transfer Updates

Saturday, May 18

Arsenal‘s interest in Ivan Toney has waned. It is unlikely he will join this summer and neither will Alexander Isak, with the club no longer interested at his £120m price [John Cross - The Mirror]

Benjamin Šeško will cost €65m this summer [Sky Sports Germany]

Latest posts

Top Bottom